Creamy Francaise

Here is another example of how I start one project before finishing another...
but when I went to a thrift store and found some awesome fabric, I just had to jump headfirst into a new project. The store was having a sale on oblong table clothes, so I bought two matching ones for $3. I also found 5+ yards of raw silk for $6, so with just $9, I had enough fabric to make a francaise.
I used the silk for the petticoat, and the table clothes for the francaise.
I sewed it entirely by hand.

This would be the first time I've worked with silk
... can you tell I enjoyed it?


To make the petticoat, I cut four panels that where roughly 38"X46",
and sewed them together. Two opposite panels make the front, and the other two make the sides.
I pleated the front and back panels and sewed bias tape on the top to close them.
For the sides, I made a casing and and used ribbon to gather the fullness around the hips.

The petticoat was so big, it could be used as a tent!


I made the francaise out of the two table clothes.



I designed the front differently this time, in that it laces in the front, 
and the stomacher gets pinned in place on top.



And here is a picture of me in the dress.

I would have posted more pictures, but our photo shoot was interrupted
by the dog ... getting sick...

Okay! I'm back. Here are pictures from photo shoot 2.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I made a thing.

Colonial Williamsburg Fall 2016 Day 2