Colonial Williamsburg Fall 2016, Day 3

Our final day! I spent the morning trying to dry out my soaked shoes. I put the soles in the dryer, and blew dry the shoe (not sure if that was a good idea for the leather, but it survived). I also found a new way to style my hair that I quite like. My hair is 36 inches long and is a beast to stick under a cap. I curled the ends of a few strands of hair, then pinned them up, so just a few inches hung down below the cap. I braided the rest, then pinned it around my head. The cap kept it all together. I freeze sprayed the curls to make them stay put, then was ready to go!
It didn't rain, but it was wonderfully windy. We met lot's of our friends from last time - I was surprised that so many people remembered us. Even the cashier at Tarpley's remembered us!

Staying warm in my fleece cloak, and flannel mitts.




 Liberty got a carriage ride :)


 Our friend Jonah makes his clothing, so he offered to teach me a few things about sewing the proper 18th century way. He taught me how to sew linen and wool, how to sew in lining, sew on facings and how to hand sew a button hole. Can we stop for a moment and appreciate that?
I MADE A BUTTON HOLE BY HAND!!
Thank you, Jonah!!!
We worked outside the joinery. 
People stopped to watch so it became a learning experience for more people than just me!


Kristi was so patient during my sewing lesson :) 

All this week I had been getting our friends to sign a Williamsburg t-shirt so I could have an awesome memento of our trip. (Whenever I wear it, it's like getting a hug from Williamsburg)<3 p="">
As I mentioned earlier, it was VERY windy. We stopped at the Greenhow store to get Mr. Greenhow to sign, then we went to the Prentis store. Somewhere in between, my shirt blew away! I was horrified! We quickly retraced our steps three times, and asked several people if they had seen it, but it was gone! One interpreter told us that if another interpreter found it, they would probably take it to the Lumber house after they get off work at 5pm. What could we do? Kristi consoled me; we decided that until 5, we would walk the street and find some of our friends.

With Martha (Custis, Dandridge or Washington depending on what hour it is) and Mr. Everard


 With Colonel Nathanial (Or Innes)
He's such an amazing interpreter!


 and with Mr. Jefferson, and Hannah Powell.


 At 5, we hurried to the Lumber house. My shirt was there! *flood of relief* Huzzah!
 We watched the election for Virginia delegates outside the Courthouse, and had nominees sign (Mr. Everard, and Colonel Nathaniel, who won the election). 
We were walking down the street a little later, when I noticed another family in costume. We stopped to talk, and ended up spending the next hour with our new friends! We had pizza for dinner (very 18th century, right?), then went to the Christmas store. We have a family tradition in which Kristi and I each pick a new ornament to add to our collection. I chose a CW Fife and Drum core ornament of corse! ;) We went back to the Revolutionary City for one last shindig at Chowning's. While we were waiting to get in, we had our traditional sprint down the Palace green in the dark. Back at the tavern, we had root beers, and Kristi and I shared a dish of chocolate ice cream. Our new friend Mr. Kent played guitar while Kristi and I sang the Ashe Grove. 
We also had a refreshing cup of tea:
[Don't worry, it's 1760 ;) ]

We had an AMAZING time! Friends make Williamsburg home. If God wills it, I hope to live in Williamsburg Virginia someday. It's one of the best feelings when I'm walking down DoG street, talking with our amazing friends, and living in the 18th century. 
God save Virginia, and God save the United States of America!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I made a thing.

Colonial Williamsburg Fall 2016 Day 2