Oklahoma! 2017 - Costume Design

I'm so excited to have the amazing opportunity to be a part of a local theatre group's production of Oklahoma! Last week we had costume fittings. The group had a good collection of costumes from previous performances. My younger sister got this gorgeous lavender gown with a pink sash, a circle skirt, and lots of lace. The dress intended for me was... green. That's it. Plain green. No lace, no ribbons; nothing. But who am I to complain? After thinking about it for a while, I remembered that I sew. (yeah, I forgot for a minute there ;P ) I emailed our costume mistress that night, then made sketches on a napkin (all I had available at the time)  and a mockup of scrap fabric.

yup. napkin sketches.


I came back to dance practice the next day with the mockup, and got approval to go on with the project. We talked about color - I really wanted a pink calico. About half an hour later, I came back to the studio where the costumes are kept. God had done something amazing. Someone had just dropped by and donated several bolts of fabric to the production. 
One of them was pink calico! It was perfect. Thank you Lord!
They let me take it home and I got busy...

The next day I came back with this:


After a little adjusting on the waist band and adding some trim, the top is almost done.
For the skirt, I used a full circle of fabric... so it's a ton of fun to spin in ;)





Here are some "spinning" pictures... kind of blurry, but you've got to love that skirt!



Because this is for theatrical purposes, I get to use elastic instead of drawstrings and velcro instead of eyelets! *blessed relief*

Comments

  1. THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    great job Laura!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I made a thing.

Colonial Williamsburg Fall 2016 Day 2