Williamsburg 2016 Day 2

March 31st
~
We began the day with a pleasant walk in the Governor's garden.

I made my dad a blue suit for the occasion!
But he needed to wear a sling because of recent shoulder surgery, so we used an unwanted neckercheif to make a sling. 


Next we participated in the activity "Storming the Palace".
We discovered that last night our gunpowder had been taking by the Governor! Dreadful!
Us girls had fun talking with the guests before the program started. We were trying to get the visitors into the act, but they didn't respond the right way... :)
We were later told that Captain Innes was watching what we were doing. 

We talked with the interpreters a great deal after. The man who portrays Captain Innes was a different character today, and he was telling us what a crazy man Captain Innes is, and how he doesn't like him. ;) We had to try really hard not to laugh!
We started something new today. We each brought t-shirts and had the interpreters sign them in their historic name. This morning, we got Mr. James Monroe's and Captain Innes's signatures. Captain Innes's is almost illegible, so we call it his "symbol". 

On to the next activity!
I greatly enjoyed our visit to the Wythe house, because I was able to meet General Marquis de Lafayette! He obviously speaks french, so I got to practice a little of mine! :) 

It was really special for me to be able to meet him. I love the story of Marquis de Lafayette, and went to see L'hermione when it was in Yorktown last year. His story is so inspiring! (More about his story later :) )



After this, some of us girls retreated to the Mary Dickinson store.
It was a little hotter today, and our feet were already tired. 
Later, my mom, Kristi and I ate a delicious lunch in the cellar of Shield's Tavern.
It was really cool. The walls and floor were made from brick. Because there were no windows, everything was lit by candles and lanterns.

We had to hurry after that yummy meal to get to the Hennage auditorium to hear Patric Henry.
He hit the nail right on the head. He openly proclaimed that our republic would not, no, could not succeed with our Christianity and God. Amen Mr. Henry!



We had him sign our shirts as well.


We walked back to the Charlton stage to watch a sketch called "Love and Loyalty".
It was very sad. A young Indian man had just found out he must go back to his tribe, and he want’s to take his American girl friend with him. But when she discovers he doesn’t stand with the patriots, and his tribe might help the British, she refuses to go with him.
 It ends with her running away crying. ’Twas sad but true.
We got the Indian man's signature afterwards. His handwriting is the nicest I've ever seen!
Next was "On to Yorktown and Victory!" again. I love that program!
Lafayette came riding out onto the green on his beautiful horse. We waved goodbye as he rode off down the street. I followed as close as I dared to the fifers and drummers. The vibrations of the pounding drums shook my bones. It was amazing!!! :D  I LOVE their music! We talked with one of the boys afterwards. I was wondering how old the boys had to be to enter the army, and the fife and drum core during the war. Boys as young as ten could enter the core, and those as young as sixteen could enter the army. Just sixteen years old! Imagine what bravery our men had and still have to go and fight for, and to keep our liberties!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I made a thing.

Colonial Williamsburg Fall 2016 Day 2